HPD Frequently Asked Questions

You must first determine where the crime occurred. Reports can be made in person, over the telephone, at the scene of the crime, or in some instances via facsimile machine. The agency having jurisdiction will take your report and determine what follow up work must be done. You should always consider filing a theft report even in the event that it is a small loss, and you believe the property is not recoverable or your deductible is too high to cover the loss. In some cases, we have recovered stolen property from cases filed years prior while investigating a new case. Many times, we learn that property is stolen but we have no case or victim to return it to. This occurs quite frequently in the case of bicycle thefts.