Residents: Snow Removal Requirements
- Before Winter Begins - Remove personal belongings from the City right of way; items not removed may be damaged during plowing operations. The City is not responsible for any damage that may occur.
- Parking Restrictions - No overnight parking (midnight to 7:00 a.m., November 1 to May 1) of any kind within any City right of way. Where there is no improved curb and gutter, vehicles must be at least 6' off edge of asphalt. Illegally parked vehicles may be towed without notice and at the owner's expense.
- Clearing the Berm in Your Driveway - When clearing the berm from your driveway, do not push, shovel or plow snow back into the roadway.
- Rubbish and Recycling Containers - Keep rubbish and recycling containers back from the roadway during snowstorms.
- Mailboxes - Mailboxes should be located at least 8' from the street pavement to prevent damage from plowing operations.
Snow Removal Policy
A 6-inch snow event costs about $16,000 for snow removal activity. Since the City never knows how much snow to expect in a given winter and the budget is limited to just a few snow events, the City focuses on two main goals: 1) keep the roads safe, and 2) keep the main roads and sidewalks open for traffic. In general, the City's snow removal policy includes the following:
- Less than 3 inches: de-ice and sand roads to keep them safe and plow major sidewalks along Woodside Blvd. and within the business core.
- 3 inches or more: plow priority areas first (school zones, safety and fire facilities, main arterials and other collector streets), then focus on lower priority areas (neighborhood streets). Continue de-icing, sanding and sidewalk plowing. The more snow we have, the longer it takes to get to lower priority areas.
More details are included in the Snow Removal Policy:
Residents: What NOT To Do!
When clearing a driveway of snow, do NOT move it into the Right of Way. All snow must be stored off of the Right of Way.
What The City Does Not Do
- During regular snow plowing, the city does not clear driveways.
- Berms across driveways after regular snow plowing are the responsibility of residents to clear.